Children's Education Director
Children’s Education Director
Approved July 2022
Position Description: This position is responsible for overseeing the children’s ministry of Highland Presbyterian Church; establishing a scope and sequence program for preschool and elementary age children, teaching children the Bible and nurturing them in the love of God, and recruiting and training adult volunteers to do likewise. This position works with the Christian Education Committee and reports to the Pastor. This is a part-time salaried position requiring a minimum of 12 hours per week. Attendance at Highland Church will be required 48 Sundays
per year. Benefits are not included in this position.
Purpose: To nurture children in the love of God, to create positive experiences for children within Church so that positive associations with Church begin at an early age; to design a comprehensive Christian education program for children; recruiting and training volunteers to be teachers in that program; to actively participate in Highland Church, using his or her abilities to promote, buildup, and make successful the children’s ministry. Impress parents with his or her love of God and teaching abilities.
Minimum Qualifications: The successful candidate for this position will be a person who loves Jesus and has demonstrated commitment to the Church. This person will love children and have training and experience in early childhood education. This person will have classroom skills (engaging teacher, creative lesson planning, behavior modification) and a big picture vision to implement a comprehensive Christian education. This position requires someone who is organized, out-going, and has good communication skills. Background and clearances required.
Functions and Task: The responsibilities of this position include all oversight for the Children’s
- Children’s Church: Recruitment and training of the teacher’s selection of curriculum.
Teaching all but one Sunday a month so she or he can remain in the worship service one Sunday a month.
- Sunday School Superintendent: Teaching a Sunday School class recruitment and training of teacher’s selection of curriculum organizing year-end recognition for students and volunteers monitoring attendance records, communication with parents.
- Vacation Bible School Director
- Quarterly Activities: Work with Christian Education Committee to assist and participate in quarterly activities (eg. Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat, Gingerbread House build)
- Broaden the Children’s Ministry: Assist with start-up groups (eg. Mothers Day out midweek program, Children’s Choir, Sunday evening program)
- Communication: Maintain communication with children and their parents, the chair of the Christian Education Committee, and the congregation. This position communicates with the senior pastor and other duties may be assigned by him.
Evaluation: Performance reviews will be conducted annually by the Personnel Committee in consultation with Senior Pastor.
The Personnel Committee will annually review compensation.